Need to Know

The difference between sterling silver and silver plated.

Silver has been referred to as the Queen of Metals and throughout history has been widely used for women's jewelry. Sterling silver is always an appropriate gift to commemorate an important event in a woman's life or to simply say that you care, a true way to convey a message.

Striking silver jewelry continues to be popular and there are many silver designs to choose from. No matter the woman's style, there are many sterling silver items that will meet her taste.

As of late, silver lookalike jewellery has overwhelmed the marketplace. For this the inspiration to the following educational about sterling silver we seek:

Like gold, pure silver is very soft and easily damaged, so it's commonly mixed with other metals to improve durability for use in jewelry.  Sterling Silver must contain at least 92.5% pure silver and the other 7.5% is usually copper.

Since the dawn of civilization, men and women have been captivated by silver's spell and splendor. Throughout the ages this mystical white metal has been used to mark historical milestones, celebrations, achievements and special occasions.

No one knows with certainty when the first silver gift was bestowed. But as early as 3,100 B.C., ambassadors from Crete were already bringing silver vases as gifts for Egyptian rulers. The metal's popularity has even influenced our languages and customs. A silver spoon has symbolized great fortune and privilege since the 17th century when the Spanish writer Cervantes cleverly acknowledged that not everyone was born with one in his mouth. The tradition of the "silver anniversary" dates back to Germany where it was customary to present a silver wreath to a woman after 25 years of marriage.

Sterling silver is a favorite medium for today's most creative and innovative designers due to its affordability and malleability - it can be shaped into almost any form imaginable. A special gift of silver is a touching and lasting expression of affection, friendship, celebration, congratulation or thanks.

Silver plating typically involves using an electrical current to adhere a very thin layer of silver to an electrically conductive object.  This object, called a base metal, can be anything from iron, brass or zink alloy.  This plating can be done for a number of purposes. For example, silver-plated jewelry has the appearance of finer silver, but can be sold for a lower price.

A hallmarking standard was put in place to identify the alloy an item is made of.  The standardized hallmark for sterling silver is 925.  Silver plated jewellery will mostly not have a hallmark, but could have a SP for silver plate or EP for electroplate.

So be sure that the jewellery you wish to buy is infact sterling silver. All jewellery herer at www.silvercrystal.co.za is sterling silver.